[Asec] ​The Body and Religious Experience|SoPHeRe CFP for APA panels 2024

Olga Louchakova-Schwartz olouchakova at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:17:56 UTC 2023

Dear Friends,

Please post to your communities

Olga

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Barber <michael.barber at slu.edu>
Date: Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: [External] posted your CFPs
To: Olga Louchakova-Schwartz <olouchakova at gmail.com>

*The Body and Religious Experience*

The 2024 APA Central Division Meeting will be held February 21-24, 2024 at
the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel in New Orleans, LA. The Society for
Phenomenology of Religious Experience will sponsor an affiliated group
session on the body and religious experience.

Religious experience, as the literature of different religious traditions
indicates, depends on the experiencers’ disposing their bodies to make such
experience possible, such as adopting certain postures or breathing
practices, finding quiet or isolated surroundings, producing rhythmic
vocalizations, and exposing oneself to multi-sensory stimulation by doing
such things as listening to music, burning incense, lighting candles,
enjoying light filtered through stained-glass windows, or tasting certain
foods. The disposition of one’s body can serve as a version of *epoché *by
which one separates oneself from pragmatic everyday life and enters the
spiritual province of meaning, or one can find oneself more immersed in and
attuned to the sensory world we inhabit. In addition, the having of
religious experience affects one bodily: produces peace, relaxation, and
confidence; emboldens one to act without fear; and has been shown to
promote physical healing. The ethico-religious summons of the other impacts
us bodily, as we feel called to share the very bread we eat or find
ourselves laboring for the other’s sake, as a woman in labor. One can
inquire how corporeal religious experience heightens one’s belonging to
nature and one’s feeling solidarity with and responsibility for it. Bodily
religious experience can serve as corrective to overly intellectualized
religious approaches. It also central for understanding religious ritual in
its various forms. Numerous philosophers and phenomenologists can be drawn
on to discuss these issues, for instance: Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger,
Rudolf Otto, William James, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Max Scheler, Emmanuel
Levinas, Alfred Schutz, Michel Henry, and Jean-Luc Marion. Contributors are
invited to address the role of the body in religious experience in regard
to any of the issues addressed above. Papers ought to make use in some way
of phenomenological methodology. Abstracts of up to 500 words or completed
papers should be sent to apacentral at sophere.org by August 1.

Michael Barber

Session Organizer

michael.barber at slu.edu

Michael D. Barber, Ph.D.

Department of Philosophy

Saint Louis University

Adorjan Hall 130

3800 Lindell Blvd.

St. Louis, MO 63108

314-977-3155

michael.barber at slu.edu

Editor, *Anthem Companion to Alfred Schutz*
https://anthempress.com/the-anthem-companion-to-alfred-schutz-hb
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/anthempress.com/the-anthem-companion-to-alfred-schutz-hb__;!!K543PA!JBuJi7b7ECRofYvRpqnefvs2i65BFQ7uNMXGCGW2KrePHHO1S8BBYEw00Oi11eRvsmGutWXCeGOYS25ibMixATY$>