[Asec] Call for Papers: What can we learn from the Phenomenology of Religion?

Olga Louchakova-Schwartz olouchakova at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:38:03 UTC 2020

>From Neal DeRoo,  nealderoo at gmail.com

*Call for Papers: What can we learn from the Phenomenology of Religion?*

                The “theological turn” in French phenomenology has been
controversial. Its proponents maintain that the work of thinkers like
Levinas, Marion, and Henry continue and expand phenomenological themes and
problems laid out already by Husserl, and therefore have proven essential
in helping phenomenology better understand its own method, scope, and
ambitions. Critics, on the other hand, contend that these “theological”
phenomenologists have in fact left phenomenology behind by appealing to
distinctly ‘religious’ categories, thought and imagery in their
“phenomenological” inquiries. As such, while these thinkers may be
interesting *religious* thinkers, according to these critics, they fail to
rise to the level of philosophers or phenomenologists.

                Conversely, while philosophers of religion (in the
Continental vein) engage a great deal with these ‘theological’
phenomenologists, the implications of their work have not made a clear
impact in the field of religious studies, where it seems that contemporary
phenomenology of religion may be interesting *philosophy*, but it fails to
contribute much of significance to religion.

                This panel proposes to gather thinkers working in the field
of phenomenology of religion to deal with two distinct (but related)
questions: what does the phenomenology of religion contribute to our
understanding of phenomenology, and what does it contribute to our
understanding of religion? In this way we hope to clarify not only the
phenomenological rigor of contemporary phenomenology of religion, but also
to trace out the implications of that thought for the interdisciplinary
study of religion.

                We are seeking papers of approximately 30 minute reading
time. Papers should be submitted to the panel organizer, Neal DeRoo, at
nealderoo at gmail.com by March 1, 2020. Please have the papers prepared for
blind review. This panel will be part of the program for the annual meeting
of the Society for Existential and Phenomenological Theory and Culture
(EPTC), June 1-3, 2020 in conjunction with the Canadian Congress of
Humanities and the Social Sciences <http://www.congress2020.ca/>, meeting
this year at Western University in London, Ontario.

--

Olga Louchakova-Schwartz
Professor of Philosophy of Religion, Spirituality, and Human Development,

The Problem of Religious Experience
<https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783030215743>:
Case Studies in Phenomenology, with Reflection and Commentaries,
V.1 and 2 (Springer, 2019, forthcoming)